Monday, February 20, 2012

Four Ladies That Inspire SPARKSHOOTER

Troy here.  As you may know, my new webcomic with artist Sarah Vaughn, Sparkshooter, starts Wednesday, February 29th.  It follows an Indianapolis band circa 2003 and how their new female lead singer turns them on their head.  While much of the tale is rooted in and inspired by my own experiences working with bands, here are four ladies of music that I feel inside the story.  They had crazy boys to deal with, too.


Debbie Harry of Blondie:  I became aware of Blondie when I was six years old.  Debbie may have accidentally triggered my puberty early.




Toni Halliday of Curve:  Shawn Delaney, Todd Shoemaker, Kim Companik and I saw Curve open for The Jesus and Mary Chain in 1992.  There's a couple of good stories there that a beer can buy you.





Margot Timmons of The Cowboy Junkies:  My favorite female voice in music.  One of the songs that Becky and I danced to at our wedding.

 

Shirley Manson of Garbage:  Yeah, they're more than a little inspired by Curve.  Still love this.


Who are your favorite female front-persons?  You can't front on Janis, but she's not one I particularly connect to this story.  Pat? Gwen?  Belinda with an asterisk?  Let's hear it.


No comments:

Post a Comment