Monday, November 19, 2012

Geekier Than Thou



When I was younger, I really liked punk music, and I wanted to know more about the punk scene.  I didn’t have a chance to learn much in my small, quiet Midwestern town, but when I went to college, suddenly there was a much broader world open to me.  I made a couple friends who were punks, and they invited me to some shows.  I went to those shows, and then I never went back.  I kept listening to the music, but the mean looks and rude treatment from scenesters who thought I was beneath them because I didn’t dress a certain way and couldn’t answer questions about zillions of obscure punk bands alienated me permanently.  I didn’t go to another truly punk show for a very long time.  I wasn’t (and still am not) interested in pretending to be something I’m not just to fit in with an elitist group of people who think that only if you conform to their standards of the scene can you be one of them. 

This is why the idea of excoriating “fake” geeks makes me so angry.  The desire for everyone in your scene to like exactly the things you like and to present themselves ONLY in exactly the ways you prefer is exclusionary and, frankly, ridiculous.  The comics industry needs as much new blood as possible, and if you don’t like what those other people create or read, then you don’t have to look at it or hang out with them.  Without new blood, the industry will die.  This is not me being alarmist.   The traditional comic geek is growing old and will eventually be gone.  That doesn’t mean those people aren’t worth keeping.  But it does mean that the comic industry as a whole needs to encourage demographic diversity.  Women, children, people of color, and LGBT folks are all groups that need to be better served by the comic industry as a whole - and welcoming those groups with open arms can do nothing but good things for the industry.  Excluding them, however, means that our industry continues to dwindle.  People will only stick around for so long when they are being made to feel unwelcome and less than everyone else in a scene.  Diversity doesn’t make your interest less YOURS and it doesn’t make you unwelcome.  It just brings in new people for you to talk to about your interests and learn about their interests and makes you a more well-rounded person.

That’s how I feel about cosplayers.  Cosplaying is not really my thing.  I usually dress as something nerdy for Halloween, in a way that at a con would be considered cosplaying, I suppose.  I’ve been Black Canary, Catwoman, and Silk Spectre I.  Those costumes may be revealing, but I wore every single one of them because I was interested in the character (Black Canary in particular was my favorite because she’s my favorite DC heroine). But when it comes to dressing up for cons, I’d rather not.  I was in a cosplay group last year where I dressed as a female version of the 9th Doctor.  Putting together the costume was fun, and meeting a bunch of other women who were also really into Doctor Who was great.  But at the end of the day, I don’t go to cons to cosplay.  I go to cons to work – to meet creators, check out what folks are doing, do meetings, etc. – and being in costume is not really conducive to that, most of the time (because of my own discomfort with being professional in costume, not because I don’t think anyone should do it). 

So it’s not my thing – but I LOVE seeing cosplayers.  Above all, I love seeing people dressed as characters from things I’m working on, whether they’re huge fans or just love the aesthetic.  It doesn’t matter to me if they’ve bought every issue or watched every episode or know the entire history of the character.  It takes enthusiasm to put on a costume, and that enthusiasm is valuable to the comics industry, because that enthusiasm can be broadened.  Someone who digs the aesthetic of a character, whether they know anything about them at all or not, can be encouraged to get to know more about that character by a welcoming industry, NOT by an industry that tells them they are worthless because they don’t already know everything.  And anyone who has talked to cosplayers knows that almost all of them put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into their costumes – and 100% of the time in my experience, it’s because they love the character they’re dressing as.  That is passion we as an industry should be welcoming, regardless of their interests. 

Oh, you like that manga?  Have you seen this amazing comic by so-and-so? It’s super rad.

Oh, you wore that costume cuz it looks cool?  Did you know that character kicked major ass in this miniseries?  It’s awesome. 

What’s so hard about that?  Cosplayers’ passion does nothing to harm the industry at all.   

But no matter how you slice it, sexism harms comics as an industry and us as a community.  I have yet to read any blog post or Facebook tirade about those awful fake geek guys that are ruining comics.  It’s clear that for many of the people who fear fake geeks, that fear is focused on women.  Maybe it’s because some women teased them about their interests when they were younger, and they see attractive women who don’t seem to be “real” geeks as a threat.  I get that we all have our scars.  But judging strangers based on their appearances and your assumptions about what a geek should look like is no better than other people excluding you because they think you look like a geek.  The next time you meet someone who your geekdar is telling you is not a “real” geek – take a second to think about what that says about you and to think about ways you can both converse to enhance your geek experience.  Because the best part of geek culture is that we as a community LOVE to talk about what we love – and we don’t all have to love exactly the same parts of being a geek. 

6 comments:

  1. "can be encouraged to get to know more about that character by a welcoming industry, NOT by an industry that tells them they are worthless because they don’t already know everything."

    I think that's where the problem comes in. It's not that some people want to come and be encouraged to learn, it's when the know-it-alls have been a fan for all of five minutes and are trying to correct others on some trivial bit of information. I honestly don't think people are generalising that new people = bad, it's when the new people get massive heads about it and think they're knowledge is Tom Brevoort or Kurt Busiek levels of depth. And that is as bad as the smug know-it-all long time fans, yes, but to suggest that the problem is with all new fans is a bit of a stretch.

    It's funny, I've seen many "geeks" rant and rave about this particular subject lately, "geek girls don't exist, no such thing as posers" etc, when only a few short weeks ago the VERY SAME PEOPLE were complaining about how all of a sudden there were loads more LA Clippers fans. I don't follow that sport, but I assume the Clippers are doing well for a change, and now the "glory hunting" fans are on the bandwagon and how dare they. How dare these fake fans and posers suddenly come and support this team now they are cool.

    Double standard. Beautiful.

    Between Big Name geeks like Wil Wheaton using this as an excuse to insult "neckbeard geeks" in a generalised way, Brian Lee O'Malley suggesting people are stupid for thinking fake people exist [despite them existing in every subculture], and Patton Oswalt suggesting that because of the internet everyone is now a "weak geek" and not a real geek like him because he had to struggle to like geeky stuff and he liked it first...

    I am not using the word "geek" anymore. I'm tired of people arguing over a label. "That's not geek, this is geek" "you can't say that is what being a geek is...now listen why I say what being a geek is". I'll take a pass on your labels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had any use for the label, honestly. As a comic book reader who doesn't "get" most anime, most manga, most video games, most cosplay, I've constantly be assaulted over the years by people demanding I check out something I have no interest in, and then the accompanying intimation that I'm somehow less committed to the things I love because I don't love all the associated crap enough. Around the time I was 21, I learned to tune all that noise out, smile and nod politely when the video game people talked, and continue my day without worrying whether or not I'm a "good enough" geek.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post.

    The under-current of elitism in our beloved community does have an unfortunate way of showing up when we least expect it, doesn't it?

    CosPlayers are an interesting and unique part of the comic book community...and MOST of the CosPlayers I've engaged at conventions (like the couple who got married dressed as the Joker and Harley Quinn at SDCC in 2011) take their fanfare very seriously. They just happen to take the visual aesthetic of comics to a level beyond that of an average fan.

    I think the sexist nature of the TED Meme that turned us all on our ears was in poor taste and it turned a poorly communicated idea into a powder keg of heated debate.

    Personally, I would love to see more people addressing/ calling-out the "oh-so-butt-hurt electronic fanboy" much more than the occasional "poseur" in a costume...because the poseur, regardless of gender, isn't doing anything malicious. They're just participating as best they can with their friends...with mild interest...whatever. They're trying.

    Young men with too much spare time and a computer connection in their parents' basements are far more damaging to the comic book community than a couple of CosPlayers who may not love X-Men as much as the guy standing next to them will ever be.

    Sadly, I think that this anonymity carries over into retail locations. When I was kid, I used to physically interact with other readers and we'd talk about motherfuckin' comics! It was glorious! We'd debate who had better costumes. We'd speculate about storylines. It never got crazy and no one was ever ridiculed.

    Today's retail environment? Silent. No one talks anymore. I occasionally talk to the guy behind the counter at my shop because we have similar taste in music and he'll recommend new books or ask me about things buzzing on the internet. It's nice...but then, I'll look around at other patrons and notice that they all look like they're terrified to speak or they skulk around the shop like the Vermin in an old issue of Web of Spider-Man. It's kind of sad...because, I just know that these guys creep back to their lair of anonymous stupiditude to unleash their anti-social whims and bravado on the unsuspecting "n00bs" and casual fans who try to embrace our community.

    So there you have it, folks. The problem isn't CosPlaying girls (or guys) dressed like Harley Quinn or Witchblade; it's the douchebaggy hardcore fanboy who has forgotten how to make nice in reality because some 9-year old cussed him out during an X-Box Live session and scarred him for life.

    I'm with you, Janelle. I think we should embrace anyone who will embrace us as a community of fans. At least they're there trying to enjoy something and not fomenting negativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But no matter how you slice it, sexism harms comics as an industry and us as a community. I have yet to read any blog post or Facebook tirade about those awful fake geek guys that are ruining comics. It’s clear that for many of the people who fear fake geeks, that fear is focused on women."

    This. Very much this. This whole "fake geek" issue infuriates me for this very reason. If the "fake geek" is so damn threatening, why is it that everyone--industry or not--is harshing on the FEMALE and not the male "fake geek"?

    Diversity is beautiful, haters. It comes in all shapes, sizes, color, genders, and sexual identifications. Embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow I think the existence of "fair weather Clippers fans" is a sign that the Mayans were right and the apocalypse is coming shortly. At least when they played in San Diego the name made sense.

    That having been said, my favorite film is the Brian DePalma glam rock horror satire Phantom Of The Paradise. In that film, there is a character named Philbin, right hand man and henchmen of mysterious music producer Swan. At one point, Philbin is talking to an overly eager young singer/songwriter who is telling him about the contada he has written about Faust. Philbin dismisses the deeper meaning and simply states, "Look, a song, is a song. Ya either dig it, or ya don't."

    That has long been my personal belief when it comes to the nerdly arts. When it comes to cosplay, or manga, or War comics, or tokusatsu, or paranormal romance, or Doctor Who, or whatever you want, ya either dig it, or ya don't. If you dig something, and it makes you happy to read it or watch it or listen to it or whatnot, hey, that's cool. May not be my thing but that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors, right?

    ReplyDelete