Thursday, April 26, 2012

I Watch TV: A Quick Rant on Broadcast Cropping

I don't know if this is a decision made on the local level or what, but NBC is the only network that consistently shows its 16:9 shows in 16:9 format, even on the non-HD broadcast. I don't understand this, because I guarantee the other stations would get more viewers if they didn't crop the shows to fit 4:3 screens. Audiences have gotten used to the black bars by now. For example, I was all excited about "Person of Interest", only everything was so crowded and fuzzy I couldn't make it to four episodes. I know, I know; I could watch it on Hulu or whatever, but it's just not the same. I have the same beef with movies, too, only that's just as bad on cable as it is anywhere.

I don't really have a larger point I'm getting to, just that it's annoying and I wish it would stop. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Why yes, I do feel better. Thanks.

Avi's new motto is the wisdom of "Phineas & Ferb": "You know, 'willy-nilly barging' is a plan, of sorts."

No comments:

Post a Comment